Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Chemotherapy

I met with the Medical Oncologist yesterday. From the looks of it, I will need chemotherapy. He has ordered one more test to be done for the pathology report that should be available in 7 - 10 days. It tests for certain kind of receptor (HER2/neu) on the tumor cells that if it's there tells the cells to multiply faster. The preliminary testing for it is negative but he wants to be sure. If it's positive it just means that the tumor and those cells could reproduce faster. That would in turn mean some different types of drugs would be used in my chemo treatments.

This whole thing is fascinating and the more I read about it the more I am understanding the particulars of my type of tumor. They can learn so much from such a little sample of tissue. I wish I paid better attention in science class now...

The doctor did not really get into what drugs would be used and the schedule of the course of chemo. That will be determined at my next appointment in 2 weeks. I did ask for a rough idea so I can start to find babysitters, etc. He said most likely it would start in 2 - 4 weeks. I would have treatments every 2 weeks for 8 sessions (about 4 months). In between weeks I would have to go for blood tests. Radiation wouldn't start until chemo was over. Sounds like a lot but again, I will do what I have to do...

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Hey Anne,
I just wanted to tell you that you are probably the bravest and strongest person that I know. But, if you need any help with babysitting or anything else, just let me know, I'd be happy to help you. :o)

♥ Jennie

Jen Dimmick said...

Hi Anne,

Just a quick note of support and encouragement for your journey. Thank you for sharing your news with the swim team families in such a refreshingly positive and forthright manner. You are an inspiration. Please let us know how we can help, whether it be babysitting, meals, shopping, driving, etc.

Jen Dimmick and family
PS--I am vowing to be more regular with breast checks. I encourage everyone to do the same with skin checks (I don't know where I'd be right now if I hadn't checked that tiny, but changing mole that turned out to be Melanoma in situ a year ago...)

molly said...

anne,
I just wanted to let you know i am around and would be more than happy to help out in anyway. I can drive or babysit, whatever you may need. Run errands. whatever please keep me in mind

508-364-5624

NPDFL said...

Anne, you are AMAZING! It is unbelievable to think of all you are going through-- yet your courage shines in each of your journals. We think of you all the time and would love to help watch the boys, deliver food, etc.
Love, Missy, Brian & Ella

Chip and Kara said...

Annie,
You are doing so great w/keeping such a positive attitude, don't loose it!
We are here to give assistance to you and Jeff whenever needed.
I work @ NWH and know that you are in great hands, but please feel free to contact me if you have any questions re:treatment.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Chip and Kara