Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Surgery

Hi Everyone!

These past couple of weeks have seemed like months. Just knowing that there was cancer growing inside me was driving me crazy. All I wanted to do is get it out! Finally surgery day came. Yesterday (Wednesday, January 24th), I went into Newton-Wellesley and underwent a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node removal. When I first arrived at the hospital I had to go get the mass mapped out by having a mammogram done. Then I met with Nuclear Medicine who injected the sight with a radioactive isotope. This injection then travelled to my lymph nodes and showed the surgeon which nodes were the closest to the mass and flowed to that side of my chest. The cool thing about having this injection was that I peed bright blue several times after the surgery.

Then it was surgery time. The surgery itself went extremely well - it lasted about 1 1/2 hours. My surgeon (who by the way I think is brilliant) removed the upper right quadrant of my breast. He ended up taking more out than he had originally planned because he wanted to be sure that he removed all of the diseased tissue and so that when the section was examined by pathology that it came back with clean margins (no disease around the out edges of what he removed). I also had 3 lymph nodes taken out. Upon initial examination by a pathologist in the operating room, the nodes looked clean - no apparent cancer has spread there. The doctors cannot say yet for certain that there isn't any disease there. What will happen now is that the lymph nodes will be made into a lot of slides (50-100) and every single cell will be looked at. This way, they will be able to find out if there is just one cancer cell there. If something is found, I will have to go back in for more surgery to have the remainder of the lymph nodes under my right arm taken out.

I had to stay over last night at the hospital because the surgeon removed more than he originally thought he was going to so he had to put a drain in the wound to help relieve swelling, pressure, etc.

So for now, things are going well. The next step for me is to recover from the surgery. I meet again with the surgeon next Friday (February 2nd) for a follow-up and to go over the final pathology reports. These reports will then tell me and my doctors what the next steps will be. If there is no evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes and the margins of the mass the surgeon removed comes back clean, I will definitely have 6 weeks of radiation (every day for those 6 weeks). If there is more evidence of cancer in the margins, I will have more breast tissue removed. If there is evidence of cancer cells in the lymph nodes, I will have all my lymph nodes removed and will probably have chemotherapy. One thing at a time. Like I said before nothing is decided until the reports all come back and I meet with the surgeon and oncologist.

I am feeling really good right now. I am a little sore and stiff and can't go out and do anything crazy but I am good.

Thank you all again for all of your love and support!!!!

~Anne

15 comments:

Bob and Emily Harless said...

Bob and I are so glad everything went well. We are keeping our fingers crossed that Friday will bring good news. It's wonderful to know that your surgeon has been so upfront with the possibilities which must put you at ease that your in amazing hands. Please don't hesitate to call on us for anything. Your a constant in our thoughts. Much love Emily, Bob and the girls

Unknown said...

Everything sounds great Anne! I'm glad the frozen sections came back negative...that's always good. You, Jeff and the boys are in my prayers. Hang in there.
Love Danielle

Chris said...

No way....... you peed BLUE ?

That is awesome!

Just kidding.....I love you.

Your biggest brother

Kristi said...

French,
I'm so glad to hear things went well during surgery. You have such a great attitude, you truly are an inspiration to all of us.
I'm thinking of you each day...
Love, Kristi

Kathykacavich said...

Hi Sweetie, I'm so glad you have such a positive attitude, it will carry you far, speaking of far, I'm not. If you feel the need to get out of the house, you know where I am. Either at home or at Cole. Call me and we'll arrange something. Love and Kisses Kathy

Jane Sullivan said...

You go girl! I'm so glad that the first (and hopefully last) procedure went so well. You and your men are in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea Welch said...

I've been thinking of you on daily basis! I'm so glad to hear that you're surgery went so well and that you're feeling well! You certainly have a cheering section at the Chickering School. Please let me know if I can help out at all! Keep up the positive attitude!

Sending warm thoughts your way!
Andrea

Maria and Brian said...

Annie, you are amazing. Jeffrey and Collin are so lucky to have such a strong and determined Mama. I have no doubt the rest of your treatment will go just as well. We are here for you and the boys (of course you too, Jeff!). You all will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Maria, Brian, Marie and Gianna

Beth & John said...

Anne,
You are living during a very optimistic time for treating breast cancer. Therapy in this area of the country is 'state of the art'. Your positive attitude is the best defense in your arsenal. Let us know ANYTHING that we can do to make your 'journey' more tolerable. We are here for you. Love, prayers, hugs,
Beth, John & Boys

Unknown said...

Anne - You are unbelievable If anyone can beat this you will, you are an inspiration to all of us. I Love you, Valerie

Katie Lyons said...

Hey Annie... I'm so proud of you - your bravery and all your positive energy. And who would have guessed that you would have your own blog! I love it and think it's a great way to document your experience. We are sending you lots of love and prayers from San Francisco.

Love, Katie and Brett

valerie r said...

Hi Anne, How are you doing? you are so incredible we are all so proud of you, It has taken me 4 times to log into this I'm not so good at the computer! I will see you soon, Love you Valerie

Unknown said...

Dear Annie,
Thank you for keeping us up to date. It's a relief to know that your surgery went so well. You described it so elegantly! Everyone at Chickering sends you and your family constant streams of positive thoughts and love. Much love, Connie

Chantel said...

Hi Anne,
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to give us a call.
Hang in there!
Chantel

nikki said...

Hi Annie
I called your Dad this morning and he informed me about all that has been going on.I"ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.Keep that positive attitude.
Nikki Young