Sunday, March 4, 2007

Day 2 Not so Good

After a great day one after treatment, day 2 (Friday) proved to be more of a challenge. I ended up with one of the worst headaches I have ever had which sent me to bed from 12:30pm Friday until 7:00am Saturday. My stomach felt okay but this headache knocked me down. It might have been triggered by the anti-nausea medication I was taking. I will bring this up at my next doctor's appointment on Wednesday. I also got an injection (Neulasta) which helps boost my white blood cell count. The side effects from this aren't so nice either. When it starts to kick in, the long bones (thighs, arms), rib cage, and joints can get achy. It felt like the flu on steriods. My rib cage is what bothered me the most - I felt like I was getting squeezed every so often. I really can't complain though. I had visions that this would be so much worse. Pain is temporary and what is the alternative really? I will be asking for some help on Fridays (and probably a couple of hours on Thursdays) so that someone will be here with the boys (and me) if I need to go take a nap, lay down, etc.

I have cut my hair short in anticipation that it will start to fall out this week or next so there will be less of a mess when it does. Jeffrey likes it and keeps asking me when my hair is going to "fall down." He has been so cute through this. He takes great pride in taking care of me. He brings me drinks when I need them and makes sure I take my pills (not at the right times but his persistence won't let me forget). He is taking good care of me. The snuggles from him and Collin are quite possibly the best remedy for my aches and pains.

I am tired but good. Even that is getting better each day. I was able to go coach my 6 hour swim meet yesterday - only one day after my bad day. Hopefully this is as worse as it gets. I can do this.

~Anne

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You definitely can do this! :)

Laurie said...

You'll do fine! Zofran caused me headaches, too, but I never had a moment of nausea...a trade off, but probably worth it. Hang in there!

valerie r said...

Anne you are probably one of the more persistent people I know! think about swimming the 50 free - I will never forget how motivated you were then and I know you will be now. Love you valerie

Unknown said...

Hang in there Anne. I know you have a long journey ahead of you but I think everyone who knows you has complete and utter faith that you can do this.