Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Extra Beats and New Tattoos

I met with my cardiologist last week then spoke with her on the phone yesterday about the heart fluttering I have been having lately. The Holter Monitor did show that I have about 300 extra beats (that particular day) mostly coming from the upper part of my heart. Nothing worrisome but nonetheless. They do not really bother me and I do not have any other symptoms that go along with them so we decided not to start any medication at this point. If they do get worse or more frequent we will discuss starting a Beta Blocker. There is nothing structurally wrong with my heart. I will have another echocardiogram at some point in the upcoming months anyway because of the Adriamycin that was part of my chemo. That drug has shown to cause heart damage in a very small percentage of patients.

Today I went to Mass General for my radiation mapping. They have a really nice facility and the population there is more mixed with young and old unlike where I received my chemo (just given the location of being outside of Boston) it was an older crowd. After getting an initial scan, I got 3 new tattoos...they are about the size of a poppy seed and will mark the field where the radiation will take place. Some people from what I have read are very bothered by getting permanently marked this way. They say it's a constant reminder of the disease. Not me. My scar isn't going away and is much larger than these minuscule dots and I feel that this disease is a part now of who I am - good, bad, or indifferent.

I go on July 6th for a simulation run which basically is just like the radiation treatment without the machine turned on. The actual radiation will start on July 9th.

Jeff and I have signed up for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. Please visit the link on the right for more information or to see how you can sponsor Team Meisner! :)

No comments: