Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Just Getting it Checked

Back in 2001, I was experiencing some heart flutters that turned out to be mild SVT (supra-ventricular arrhythmia). No medication or follow-ups needed unless it got worse. I feel nothing else when it happens, just a flutter and then my heart "resets" itself to a regular beat again.

A few weeks ago I have noticed that it is happening much more often. Could be due to the physical stress my body is under from the treatments (and all of the the other stress - the kids, financial, emotional, etc.). Yesterday, my doctor ordered a Holter monitor for me to wear for 24 hours that will record every beat and rhythm. Of course no one can ever hear the flutter or see it on an EKG or echocardiogram because it never happens when I am actually at the doctor. I turn the monitor back in today and will meet with a cardiologist next Monday.

One of the first chemo drugs I was on - Adriamycin, can cause heart damage. It only happens to about 2% of all patients who take it. When I mentioned all of this last week to my nurse practitioner, she did say that if it was related to that, I would have other symptoms that would go along with it like shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, etc. My doctor agreed and so this is the first step to just getting it checked out.

Last chemo day! I'll write more later.

No comments: